Virtual Bailey

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Over on New World Notes I read about a new sim created by "a real world company offering actual ocean tours", and as a real world enthusiast of such tours I decided to investigate.

It turns out that "Dive" was created by PADI (the Professional Association of Diving Instructors) - an industry certification organization. In the main building, there is a tremendous amount of information about scuba diving, and down on the beach they are offering (limited quantities of) free scuba gear.



It became clear that the suit had too many attachments in the head area to support the Virtual Bailey avatar (I hate when his head disappears).



So I changed into my other main avatar and walked down the beach to the water. As soon as I reached waist height, my avatar automatically stopped walking and began swimming, intermittently dischanging bubbles from the virtual regulator.



The swimming motion, speed, resting position, and buoyancy all accurately convery a real world diving experience. There are plenty of underwater areas to explore, with varied marine life and even a wreck! According to the heads-up-display gauge, my dive lasted 17 minutes!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home