Virtual Bailey

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Roma!

Roma!

This was my first visit to Roma since their major redesign. It was nice to look at before, but now it's an experience.

You arrive on the docks where you are provided with notecards that explain both what the island has to offer as well as how to use the various features. There are also helpful hints about lighting settings so that you view the environment in the way intended by the designer. The experience also differs by time of day, so I'll have to come back some time and explore by torchlight. I picked up a free toga before heading out to explore.



You are also alerted that this is a "no fly zone" which means you actually have to walk or use the Roma transportation (more on that later). I've grown attached to flying just to get a sense of where I am, so without it, I used mouselook to get a birds eye view of the island.



I walked up the steps past the marketplace. Across from the Roman Baths (which I'll have to return later to try) and the two caged lions, I turned right and headed up the stairs.



The Hippodrome is located mid way up the stairs. I was able to race a chariot around the track, and if you are there with others you can have a timed race with up to three participants.



Further up the hill I found the Gardens of Maecenas. Inside the gate, an unusual little statue lets you control the weather with the click of a mouse. This environment is a good place to rest - with its swan-filled lake and fireflies.



I passed the gladiator Arena and the Theater (which features 20 minute plays) and arrived at the Odeon. When it is not in use, there are some musical instruments on the stage that you can play. (a little Photoshoppery here to make up the band since I was alone)



If you don't want to walk, there are fountains throughout where you can summon a traveling litter to take you to another destination within Roma. Each fountain also features a God or Goddess that can tell you about the area you are in and what is nearby.





The last place that I visited was the waterfront. Here I sailed around the small harbor for a bit and then found my way into a tunnel which led to more open ocean.





Throughout, Roma uses text overlays, non player characters, and well-placed easy to read signs to improve wayfinding and information delivery. Moreover, the well written descriptions and instructions include historical facts intertwined with information about how you can participate in the various activities. Well done!

posted by Juiceof Prunes on ROMA using a blogHUD : [permalink]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home