Virtual Bailey

Thursday, May 25, 2006

I found scuba gear!

A quick search in Second Life brought me to Hinkley Engineering. They sell all kinds of transportation things - like jetbikes, hovercraft, and scuba equipment.



Buying things in Second Life is much easier than buying them through one of the catalog sites (like SLExchange). You just right click, select buy, the funds are deducted from your SL account, and the item is added to your inventory.

Once the item was in my inventory, I tried dragging it to the main Second Life window, but it wouldn't let me. I figured it was because I wasn't allowed to add items to the Hinkley Engineering island, so I went back to the New Citizens Area but it didn't work there either so I went to one of the Sandbox areas.

When I dragged the item from my inventory, a big box appeared.



Right-clicking didn't do anything, my only option was "Take" which put it back in my inventory. How about "wear".



Nope, that clearly wasn't right either. My first thought that was that it was all a scam and I just bought a box of junk. I'm so trusting :) There weren't any instructions anywhere, but I was clearly missing something obvious.

I searched the support forums for "box on my head." I was pleased to learn that it's a common mistake, a newbie right-of-passage, if you will.



Now that I had the gear on, it was time for some diving. I searched for "scuba diving" and found Cave Cult.



It essentially replaces the walk action with swimming. He even blows little bubbles! Too bad there isn't much underwater development yet. If you know of some, please let me know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home