Virtual Bailey

Monday, October 23, 2006

I'd read a lot about Starwood's presence in Second Life, but I'd never been to their Aloft Island so I decided to check it out.

When I arrived, I saw a billboard for the Ben Folds event that was starting in a few hours. I remembered reading that Sony was launching a space in Second Life and Ben Folds would be there for a live chat and to play some new songs. I filed this in the back of my mind and continued to wander around the Aloft space.

Starwood was one of the first corporations to (overtly) jump into Second Life. They are using the island to both market the new concept and get feedback as the design evolves. You can read more about it here. According to their press release, the first physical Aloft hotel is supposed to open in 2007.

I took a quick walk through the lobby and then around the pool. Unfortunately the real world beckoned and I didn't have time to explore as much as I would have liked.



A few hours later I logged back into Second Life and was surprised to see a lot of visitors nearby on the mini map. I went over to investigate and saw a dancefloor and about 20 or so people getting their groove on.



I spotted two colleagues, and tried to teleport another but it wouldn't work. Apparently the event was invite only, but because I was there earlier in the day I had foiled the elaborate security system. Virtual Bailey - concert crasher.

Ben arrived and after a few technical glitches were solved the crowd heard live streaming audio from the Sony studios in New York.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home